Friday, 20 January 2017

Hermanus East Cliffs en Plein Air



Another holiday in Hermanus, but this was to be a holiday like no other before. I am on a mission to get my Plein sir Painting shoes on! Blessed with a beautiful day and holiday mood, off I set with my brand new backpack of painting goodies. A prepared canvas board 8 x 10", brushes, palette knife, water, an ice cream tub lid, my brand new Royal Talens Cobra water mixable oil paints and a vision of having fun.





Searching for the right spot, an empty bench and a bit of shade. At first, I walk, scanning the area, taking photos of different view spots. I had spotted an ideal position but the bench was occupied by two young lovers. I decided to adjourn for a spot if lunch, a glass of wine and coffee. I spent some time sketching some patrons of Burgandy Restaurant in Hermanus till someone saw me and gave me a bit of a "skeef" look! 

I saw my bench become available and made a beeline for it at the same time that a "Bergie" spotted the same bench! He hovered around the bin and bench, making the first few minutes of painting, a bit pesky! Having had enough of requests for "geld" I broke into "broken" schoolgirl Afrikaans, asking him politely to leave me alone. Eventually, the Afrikaans took a new direction and he departed 10 steps away from me, continuing to plague me with mutters! Determined that my day would not be disturbed by this, I focused only on the scene in front of me. I began to draw and then added dollops of my Cobra water soluble oil paints. The painting needs to dry before adding new layers of paint. I still have some adjustments to make but it was a most enjoyable day and, I am hooked on 
Plein Air painting.